PC security alert !!

All Computer and Internet related topics
X880862531X

PC security alert !!

Post by X880862531X »

[align=justify]Dear friends,

I decided 2 post this topic after I found ( by practice on more than 20 PCs in this month ) that there r some dangerous threats spreading nowadays. The danger is that it is very hard that security software detect these threats nowadays. I found that these viruses r always combined by the famous [highlight=yellow]autorun virus[/highlight].

The designers of [highlight=yellow]autorun viruses[/highlight] r updating it periodically.
[/align]
.[align=justify] Let me prove the matter with an actual strange matter ( story ) encountered by me...[/align]
[align=justify]*** 3 days ago, I was in a net cafee. I worked on 2 PCs.. [highlight=yellow]PC1[/highlight] & [highlight=yellow]PC2[/highlight].

[highlight=yellow]PC1[/highlight] : Xp , kaspersky 2009 , full update

[highlight=yellow]PC2[/highlight] : Xp , eset smart security ( nod32 ) , full update

[highlight=yellow]PC1[/highlight] was infected with the [highlight=yellow]autorun virus[/highlight] & some other strange viruses. [highlight=yellow]PC2[/highlight] was surely clean.. I worked on [highlight=yellow]PC1[/highlight] for some minutes then continued work on [highlight=yellow]PC2[/highlight]. I removed my usb disk from [highlight=yellow]PC1[/highlight] and inserted it in [highlight=yellow]PC2[/highlight]. When I accessed my usb disk in [highlight=yellow]PC2[/highlight] I found that there is a file which name is [highlight=yellow]ln9.exe[/highlight] on it. By mistake, I opened the file.. Bad consequences happened :

1- The file disappeared.
2- [highlight=yellow]Eset[/highlight] starts 2 detect [highlight=yellow]autorun.inf[/highlight] files in the usb disk and the partitions. [highlight=yellow]Eset[/highlight] deleted the files automatically, but once a file is deleted it comes back then [highlight=yellow]Eset[/highlight] deletes it then it comes back.. A cycle with no end.
3- Hidden files disappeared.
4- The option ( show hidden files ) in [highlight=yellow]folder options[/highlight] was damaged. ( it was working before inserting the usb disk ).

I searched 4 the word [highlight=yellow]ln9.exe[/highlight] in google and found no thing, this means that it is a new virus. The biggest problem associated with these viruses is that it forces u 2 format yr PC after u find no solution.

The strange matter is that kaspersky which is installed on [highlight=yellow]PC1[/highlight] didn't show any alerts while I was working on [highlight=yellow]PC1[/highlight], this may be a result of installing it after the infection ( not before it ).
[/align]

[highlight=green]Some advices 2 avoid such viruses :[/highlight]
[align=justify]1- Always be sure that yr security software is updated.
2- Always be sure that the option [highlight=yellow]show hidden files[/highlight] in [highlight=yellow]folder options[/highlight] is activated.
3- Use the famous security software such as Eset, kasper, Norton, Mcafee & bitdefender .. I don't recommend avira, avg, solo & avast.
4- When inserting any usb disk in yr PC, Scan it before accessing it.
5- After accessing the usb disk, delete any hidden [highlight=yellow]exe files[/highlight] that exists beside yr folders ( not inside it ) in the main window of the usb disk .. the hidden files appears but their colors are not clear such as the unhidden files.
6- The software [highlight=yellow]Autorun Eater[/highlight] is sometimes useful.
7- Don't forget 2 try [highlight=yellow]Eset smart security[/highlight]. Sometimes it is effective with some versions of [highlight=yellow]the autorun family[/highlight].[/align]
Best regards,
[highlight=yellow]Hosam[/highlight]
Forum administration member

Petroleum engineering B.Sc

3-2010 : 3-2011
Assistant petroleum production consultant

3-2011 till now
Well completion & workover supervisor
loum

Post by loum »

Thanks
arturo82

Post by arturo82 »

maybe u can live with the problem, i had a virus until I format my pc, but it was harmless, just that problem you mention, the option show hidden files was not working