petrel or eclipse!!!

All Reservoir Simulation aspects

Moderator: Simulation_team

AZoro

petrel or eclipse!!!

Post by AZoro »

hi all
i have a little question!
which software deals with reservoir simulation petrel or eclipse or what is the different between them?

thanks in advance.
wael

Post by wael »

Petrel make Static model (depend on geological and geophysical interpretation and make static model
but
Eclips make dynamic model depend on the final static model and added on it some fluid dynamic properties such like (mobility, permeability, daily production, cummulative production, recovery data, fluid type + .................... etc)
to make dynamic model simulation for reservoir
thanks
AZoro

Post by AZoro »

aha , but ppl who use petrel doesnt need to learn eclipse or vise versa
hqman

Post by hqman »

[quote="wael"]Petrel make Static model (depend on geological and geophysical interpretation and make static model
but
Eclips make dynamic model depend on the final static model and added on it some fluid dynamic properties such like (mobility, permeability, daily production, cummulative production, recovery data, fluid type + .................... etc)
to make dynamic model simulation for reservoir
thanks[/quote]

May I ask you a question?
What is happened if we run Eclipse (dynamic model) without static model?

Thank you,
AZoro

Post by AZoro »

aha. but in both cases,do i just have to learn how to use the software or i must know some concepts beside learning the software ?!

thanks
FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Post by FANARCO »

You cannot run a simulation run without static model
wael

Post by wael »

HQMAN
I THINK HQMAN IT IS NOT QUESTION TO ASK ME ?
HOW DO YOU CAN MAKE DYNAMIC MODEL WITHOUT STATIC MODEL
AZoro

Post by AZoro »

he isn't asking you..he is making a 'question note' to make me realize that we cant make dynamic model without static model :D

now,do i just have to learn how to use the software or i must know some concepts beside learning the software ?!

i know am asking a lot, but am willing to learn as much as i can ,u know when you are thirsty and u find a river,u will never stop drinking from it
and since i cant find sum1 in my department at collage that know much about modeling so i have no1 to ask but u guys and am really thankful for that

i have added u Mr.Wael on mail but u didn't log in since i added u
anyho,thanks guys for helping me
FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Post by FANARCO »

You are welcome AZoro, you have to learn how to build a static model first and then try to run the simulation
it is really fantastic
AZoro

Post by AZoro »

yeah,Modeling is a promising technique for petroleum exploration, i guess such models help companies to predict the fluid location and more and more stuff,am glad i knew about it and am still a student so when i graduate it will be agood thing in my CV ,besides i really started to love the idea it self as am much of a computer guy am using PC since i was 10 years old :D
so i think i will be really good in this job(isa),

it would be great if sum1 give me his msn messenger so we can chat for awhile

thx fanarco for such a great forum,u really did a good job here 8)
hqman

Post by hqman »

[quote="FANARCO"]You cannot run a simulation run without static model[/quote]

Using 3D seismic, logs, and core data we can make a structure mode and petrophysics model (static model!) and then this model will be export to Eclipse and run dynamic model.

But... in both model we need porosity and permeability from logs, core and well test,...

We have a question here:

What is difference distribution of 3D (K and Phi) model between dynamic and static?

I am also a student so don't have some experiences in reservoir simulation.
Some one can help me to explain more detail.

Thank you so much.
FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Post by FANARCO »

The static model simply is a structural model (anticline or faulted blocks or ........ etc) this struture model is divided into cells for simulation purpose. The number of cells / dimensions depends on the data that you have, the no. of wells and required accuracy.
Be note that if the no. of cells is high the simulation run time will be high and vise versa
In static model also (Could be built by Petrel or Petra or Geoframe or RMS .........etc) you have to fill each cell with its properties.
There are an essential properties like Porosity,NTG, saturations. permeability
and there are optional properties like thermal properties of the rock and fluid .... etc

I hope these poor explanation is enugh for you guys
wael

Post by wael »

Good Fanarco.
you are intelligent Reservoir engineer and Reservoir geologist
You are success man in petroleum industry
Thanks
AZoro

Post by AZoro »

the good news is,i have 1 year until my graduation ,i guess i got alot of time to learn about them ,i just need sum1 to put me on the begining of the road

thanks
hqman

Post by hqman »

[quote="FANARCO"]The static model simply is a structural model (anticline or faulted blocks or ........ etc) this struture model is divided into cells for simulation purpose. The number of cells / dimensions depends on the data that you have, the no. of wells and required accuracy.
Be note that if the no. of cells is high the simulation run time will be high and vise versa
In static model also (Could be built by Petrel or Petra or Geoframe or RMS .........etc) you have to fill each cell with its properties.
There are an essential properties like Porosity,NTG, saturations. permeability
and there are optional properties like thermal properties of the rock and fluid .... etc

I hope these poor explanation is enugh for you guys[/quote]

Thank Administrator FANARCO so much for your helps me more understand about reservoir simulation.

So we need both softwares (Petrel and Eclipse) if we would like to run simulation modeling?