Total Field Optimization

All Reservoir Simulation aspects

Moderator: Simulation_team

cybermoj

Total Field Optimization

Post by cybermoj »

Hello!

I am a university student trying to make a project on Total Field Optimization, integrating all softwares together to form a single system, ranging from reservoir simulation to surface facilities, maybe even refining etc. All these will be controlled by economic constraints and optimized by parameters from softwares like crystal ball. Its just in its initial stages and there are still quite a few things I havent figured out yet, but my main question is this:

I am using ECLIPSE for simulation model and will use UniSim/HYSYS for downstream and Excel+VBA for most of the data dealing and manipulation. Which software should I use(that may be available on the internet) to integrate all the softwares together? As I am in the learning phase, so any software will do because I am blank right now and will have to learn it from the ground up. The following softwares is what I have come up with till now:

Petex IPM Resolve
Schlumberger PIPESIM (I think it will perform the same thing that Resolve will, in a much more Harder to Learn fashion )
If I am not mistaking, Halliburton also has a program for integration, but I dont think thats easily available.
So I am only left with PIPESIM for now...What would the experts suggest??

Thank you very much for you support!
Bilal Amjad

Post by Bilal Amjad »

Petex IPM suite wil be better. Manuals that come with it have interactive tutorials providing very good ground for learning full field optimization.
Bilal Amjad
Reservoir Engineering Consultant
cybermoj

Post by cybermoj »

Thanks for the reply. I have a good ground knowledge of the IPM suite and originally, I had planned to use IPM but the license for openserver which enables the connection of all the softwares is not available (to our university or on the internet). I have PIPESIM, but it is seeming more and more difficult to learn and lacks the proper resources for learning in my opinion.
Could you recommend another software, that maybe perhaps we could get an educational license for the university or which may be available on the internet?

Thanx~!
Bilal Amjad

Post by Bilal Amjad »

ECLIPSE also simulates surface network. But again I have doubt that you might now available with network license if already have the package. See Network option in ECLIPSE Tech desc manual.
Landmark's VIP (Network option) is more faster solution to one's compositional needs, which is the often the case in surface networks. If your institute needs the VIP Network license, you may inbox me the request.
Bilal Amjad
Reservoir Engineering Consultant
cybermoj

Post by cybermoj »

Thanks for the prompt reply. The reason I was asking for a separate software is because I want to use different softwares for different tasks so that I get the basic grasp on all the softwares being used in the field. Like IPM for PVT and Material Balance analysis, Eclipse for simulation etc.

The main thing which I want is the integration of the softwares with excel. The best feature of IPM Resolve was its ability to integrate Excel+VBA during its simulation meaning I could take some data from eclipse, automatically perform complex calculations and manipulations in excel using VBA and then Resolve would automatically take outputs of the calculations and feed it into the next software (GAP for example) as an input. VBA gives me the simplicity of automation in manipulation of data.

As I cant find the license of openserver required for using RESOLVE, Im quite stuck in trying to find another application for the job. I have PIPESIM, but its much too difficult and non-user friendly than Resolve. So I need a program that is atleast a bit user friendly and easy to learn, and that specially provides for excel VBA interaction.