Extract data from Eclipse data Deck and Import into Petrel

All Reservoir Simulation aspects

Moderator: Simulation_team

adrian

Extract data from Eclipse data Deck and Import into Petrel

Post by adrian »

Due to high volume of requests of how to Import the data files from Eclipse into Petrel i will open this thread especially for this hot topic;
adrian

Post by adrian »

Extract data from an Eclipse data Deck and Import into Petrel

It is possible to load a complete *.DATA file into Petrel. But changing any parameters are limited to the use of the Keyword editor. To use the GUI capacity of Petrel to make changes to the simulation model it might be necessary to break down the data files and create Petrel items. The current items that can be backwards engineered and imported into Petrel are still limited. This will change as more functionality is added to Petrel. As more functionality is added some of the steps described here might be redundant. This document describes which and how the different properties/data can be imported into Petrel.
adrian

Post by adrian »

1. INITIALIZE AND IMPORT GRID

The grid intended for a simulation run and usually contained in the *.DATA file or an include file can be extracted from the file and imported into Petrel. Once the grid and properties are imported into Petrel the Petrel tools can be used to further modify the model.

1. In the *.DATA file, comment out any GRIDFILE, NOGGF and FMTOUT keywords if they are present.

2. For the purpose of importing a grid with initial properties, restart properties are not needed, thus include a NOSIM keyword in the RUNSPEC section.

3. Run to initialize the *.DATA deck using the simulator of choice. A *.GRID (or *.EGRID) and *.INIT have now been created.

4. In a new or existing Petrel project go to Project | Project Settings | Units tab, change Project units to the same as the *.DATA file. (Grid and Initial properties units will be converted on import, but some other data might not, thus it is usually a good idea to convert the units prior to import.)

5. The next step is to import the grid and properties into Petrel. Right Mouse Button (RMB) click in the Models tab | Import (on tree)
adrian

Post by adrian »

2. Import Fluid properties

The process of importing Fluid Properties and creating a fluid item into the Petrel Project is fairly straightforward. Note that there are several keywords that are not supported on import.

1. In a new Petrel Project or a project not containing any fluid items, click on the Input tab. In the main menu; Insert | New Fluid Folder

2. RMB click on the Fluid folder in the Input tree. Select Import (on selection)
adrian

Post by adrian »

3. Extract and import Saturation Functions (SCAL data)

There are two saturation keywords families that can be used with Eclipse. The first family can be imported directly into Petrel. The second family of keywords is not possible to import without some extra effort.

Family 1. SWOF, SGOF, SLGOF imports Ok
Family 2. SWFN, SGFN, SGWFN, SOF2, SOF3, SOF32D is not possible to import. SGWFN is an exception and can be imported similar to Family 1.

3.1 Import Keywords from Family 1

Importing any of the keywords in the first family is straightforward and similar to how fluid properties are imported. The steps below describe how to import saturation functions from Family 1.

1. In a new Petrel Project or a project not containing any fluid items, click on the input tab. In the main menu; Insert | New Saturation Folder.

2. RMB click on the Saturation Functions folder in the Input tree. Select Import (on selection)
adrian

Post by adrian »

4. Extract and import well deviation files (*.dev)

The only well path data contained in *.DATA set is in the SCHEDULE section. Combined with the corresponding grid the COMPDAT keyword contains information about the well path. Extracting a well path is somewhat more tedious than the other steps, but the processes are described step by step below. Below are two descriptions; both should give the same results. The NWM approach is probably the easiest, unless you are an experienced Schedule user.

4.1 Extracting well deviation with NWM (Near Well bore Modeling)

Follow the steps below to extract deviation files with NWM.

1. In the Petrel main menu go to Tools | Launch Eclipse Office
adrian

Post by adrian »

4.2 Extracting well deviation with Schedule (the application)

To extract well deviation files from Schedule follow the steps below. The process is somewhat more tedious than using NWM.

1. In the Petrel main menu go to Tools | Launch Schedule
adrian

Post by adrian »

5. Extract and Import observed data (*.vol)

If the Model contains a production/injection history, this information can be extracted from the WCONHIST and WCONINJH keywords using the Schedule application. It is possible to load a *.vol file containing production, injection and pressure data into Petrel. This *.vol file can be created by following the steps below.

adrian

Post by adrian »

6. Extract and import events

The schedule section of a data deck might include information about completion events. This information can be extracted to produce an event file (*.ev). This event file can in turn be imported into Petrel. On import into Petrel, the events will be converted to Completion Items. The Schedule application is used to extract the events, please follow the steps below.
If you used NWM to extract the well paths it is advised to also use NWM to extract the events. This is to avoid any mismatch. You can export the events by right clicking on the Wells folder and then selecting Well Events | Export Bore Events.

FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Post by FANARCO »

Very good topic adrian,
I made this thread sticky
Reservoir

Post by Reservoir »

Thanks a lot Adrian :)

Are there any tutorials similar to what was offered in ECLIPSE SUIT FloGrid, where from Step 1 to Final Model the whole process is explained?

What I have seen so far from shared sources is "How To" exercises. What I have in mind is something more of interest to Reservoir Engineers who would be given the finished geologic model, maps, properties etc.
adrian

Post by adrian »

Reservoir wrote:Thanks a lot Adrian :)

Are there any tutorials similar to what was offered in ECLIPSE SUIT FloGrid, where from Step 1 to Final Model the whole process is explained?

What I have seen so far from shared sources is "How To" exercises. What I have in mind is something more of interest to Reservoir Engineers who would be given the finished geologic model, maps, properties etc.

Reservoir,,
Three comments on your post:

1- My Experience is in Petrel combined with Eclipse. so, i'm not a good user of Flogrid. But, i promise you to bring it up for you and all members here. I will just post the materials without any explanation from me.

2- The geological model and mapping are not belong to reservoir engineer like me. It basically belong to the geologists.

3- If you want to make a final project or project from A-Z, it can ONLY done by opening a group on FANARCO for reservoir simulation sharing a one project and posting the results as a one product. If you agree with me, we will ask the moderator to announce about that group.
Tejaswy

Post by Tejaswy »

Reservoir wrote:Thanks a lot Adrian :)

From my understanding there is plugin that you need to buy from the SLb which will convert the data files from eclipse to pet files.
This is because Petrel is more like an ipad, iphone where you buy apps thing. You cannot make deviated wells in Petrel, You need to buy a plugin to do that.
You can make deviated wells in Eclipse very easily.

What will be the point of the plugin if you can just make a deviated well in eclipse and import it into plugin.

SLB does not want to come off as a company which reduces compactabilty between its own programs. So it just made it hard for regular users to import data files into petrel.
Reservoir

Post by Reservoir »

Hi Tejaswy

I am still a beginner on Petrel though I could use FloGrid very well. SO it sounds that after buying out Petrel SLB has adopted the model of LEGGO. You want extra capabilities you pay.

From your understanding, is it possible to put this workflow yourself? I know in FloGrid, you could save the commands used during building process and then run it to reproduce the steps. Is this possible in Petrel?

I guess what I am not clear on because I do not see it in action is how does this WORKFLOW execute if you buy it. Do you suddenly see extra menus, or does it take you through a step by step sequence of operation to finally get what it was built for?
Tejaswy

Post by Tejaswy »

Reservoir wrote:Hi Tejaswy

I am still a beginner on Petrel though I could use FloGrid very well. SO it sounds that after buying out Petrel SLB has adopted the model of LEGGO. You want extra capabilities you pay.
Yes!

http://www.ocean.slb.com/Pages/default.aspx
You buy it from here
Reservoir wrote: From your understanding, is it possible to put this workflow yourself? I know in FloGrid, you could save the commands used during building process and then run it to reproduce the steps. Is this possible in Petrel?
Yes. Petrel has included everything that was good in Flogrid.
Reservoir wrote: I guess what I am not clear on because I do not see it in action is how does this WORKFLOW execute if you buy it. Do you suddenly see extra menus, or does it take you through a step by step sequence of operation to finally get what it was built for?

I am not too sure on the last point you are talking about it, But I want to quote Steve Jobs on it
"There is an app for it. :D"