Porosity-Permeability Correlation

Well Test Analysis, Pressure and Production Monitoring........ etc.

Moderator: moderators

soman703

Porosity-Permeability Correlation

Post by soman703 »

Hello Everyone,

I have a question please. I have been asked to get Porosity and Permeability correlation. I have RCAL data available for Porosity from both Dynamometer and Porosimeter. Whats the difference between porosity values obtained from both?

And I have Permeability available from from Plugs.It says its Klinkenberg corrected and I have viscosity and L and D available.

Do I just have to plot Porosity(x axis) v/s Log k (y-axis). Can anyone give detailed workflow about this please or share any reference or document that can help me define correlation for reservoir data given?

Thankyou,
Soman
mrgmm

Re: Porosity-Permeability Correlation

Post by mrgmm »

A lot of discussion/explanation in this matter..

Simply the poro-perm cross plot should be constructed for each facies.

For you as a reservoir engineer you can plot phi-k from routine core analysis and you come up with a correlation (equation) on semi log scale

X axis is porosity cartesian scale while Y axis is logarithmic K scale

Then you apply this formula on all of your model.

Note; i prefer to confirm this cross plot with the data obtained from MDT/RFT...

If you want we can explain more huh :P :P :P
soman703

Post by soman703 »

Thankyou so much mrgmm for detailed explanation on this subject.

Do you know how do we take into account effect of overpressure and Vclay while deriving this correlation if we are dealing with overpressured reservoir?
FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Post by FANARCO »

soman703 wrote:Thankyou so much mrgmm for detailed explanation on this subject.

Do you know how do we take into account effect of overpressure and Vclay while deriving this correlation if we are dealing with overpressured reservoir?
sorry man,
I'm not a a petrophysicist but the overpressured reservoir means reservoir pressure higher than the normal water gradient and i dont know the correlations used.

if i found any i will share
soman703

Post by soman703 »

Thankyou dear sir.

You're very kind & generous!
anindaghosh2207
LinkedIn Profile: http://in.linkedin.com/in/ghoshaninda

Post by anindaghosh2207 »

Hello,

I have a very basic question.

What is the basis of plotting Porosity vs logarithm of permeability?

I mean what is the theoretical background that relates porosity with logarihtm of permeability.

There are tons of literature stating that poro-log of perm relationship is linear for a particular facies.
I am not objecting this or challenging this view. In every day work I'm doing just the same. But I wonder from where this concept came. I searched a lot but I'm unable to find solid material that can trace to origin of this concept.

Confusion will increase more if you try to deduce this relationship for diffusivity equation because there you;ll land up a relation ship of squrate root of k/phi.

Moreover if this simple relationship works well then what is the need of Timur equation, Tixier equation, Rose&Wyllie equation, Coates equation etc etc. Beacuse in all the equation there is an attempt to link porosity and permeability with the help of irreducible water saturation and increasingly difficult power series application.

Regards
Aninda Ghosh
FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Post by FANARCO »

Very good question,,

I have no clear explanation regarding this relationship but in most correlation you can find the permeability is proportional with porosity (powered).

In Timur's equation it is powered of b and in Coates squared and even in NMR method powered to 4.

All of these evidence indicating that K is behaving on logarithmic scale versus Cartesian porosity..

Still the question,,, WHY....
Javadova
LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/dr-arzu-javadova-91b7542b/

Post by Javadova »

unfortunately, i could not download porosity-permeability correlation. if anybody could share it with me? arzujavadova@yahoo.com
FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Post by FANARCO »

Javadova wrote:unfortunately, i could not download porosity-permeability correlation. if anybody could share it with me? arzujavadova@yahoo.com
The is no related materials to download