Switching from drilling engineering to reservoir engineering

Well Test Analysis, Pressure and Production Monitoring........ etc.

Moderator: moderators

oliman

Switching from drilling engineering to reservoir engineering

Post by oliman »

Hello Guys,

I am a newbie to this forum. Basically I am a mechanical engineer working for an E&P company as a drilling engineer. I have almost 3 yrs of working experience in this field. But the thing is i am not at all interested to work in this field for my future. Call it to my workload, field trips, my background in mechanical engineering(lacking geology and pet engg concepts) or the company i am working(pay less and suck the last drop of ur blood). Whatever it is but one thing is near certain I do not want to work in drilling field.

On the other hand, when i looked at the work of reservoir engineers, it attracted me very much...when i talked to some of my colleagues about their work, they said its a blend of thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, geology and economics. Aside from geology which i have learned a bit during my current role, thermo has been my favorite subject in my undergrad(got some good grades in thermo-I & II), fluid-dynamics, I was an above average student in it, and economics has been a favorite subject too.

Now I am thinking of doing masters from US with emphasis on reservoir engineering. i am planning to go for it in 2012, complete my masters and search for a job there. basically I am trying to change my role in petroleum engineering.

My point of writing so much is that I believe this forum has experienced ppl who can understand my situation and guide me in a better way. may be i am wrong somewhere and hasn't completely understood my career..but for sure i am in a dilemma...I need ur help guys.

Thanks
oliman

Post by oliman »

guys a gentle bump...mods any help from ur side if u have the info
FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Post by FANARCO »

Welcome to our forum oliman ,,

In fact you need some basic info about geology, basic reservoir engineering, fluid flow in porous media .... etc .

All of these aspects are available in reservoir engineering section and you will enjoy studying the reservoir engineering..

Any way, if you need any help please let me know to assist you.