Analysis of Production Decline Curves

Well Test Analysis, Pressure and Production Monitoring........ etc.

Moderator: moderators

kikiastrid

Analysis of Production Decline Curves

Post by kikiastrid »

Does anybody have this book by Poston and Poe? Please share!
Cheers engineers!
oilslave

Post by oilslave »

Hi. Maybe you could elaborate on what exactly you're looking for - subject matter I mean. The book you referred to above looks pretty basic (I checked the contents at spe-store).

Cheers
kikiastrid

Post by kikiastrid »

That's what I am looking for, some basic concept in Decline Curve Interpretation. I am always lost in this topic...
Cheers engineers!
Reservoir

Post by Reservoir »

Here is what I found for you.

Search

I would also do a GOOGLE search for more if needed.

The Poston/Poe book is too too expensive !!! I know them both and did not even realize that they had this. :-)

The Book

PS: Don't lose you head on Decline Curves. In the end it is JUST curve fitting. Yes, there are techniques that MAY back out "important" reservoir parameters, but in the end we need to forecast what may be the production 6 months to 2 years in the future. :-)
kikiastrid

Post by kikiastrid »

Thank You Reservoir!

For the beginning this is really a helpful material.

Nevertheless, if anyone is able to get the book, I am still interested!
Cheers engineers!
Reservoir

Post by Reservoir »

Search around with GOOGLE and you may find more interesting stuff. At Texas A&M (Poston and Poe are from there) some of the professors have lots of material from their course open to public. You may find interesting stuff here on Decline Curves.

I know that Blasingame was doing some advance stuff in this area and his material was open to public. :)

http://www.pe.tamu.edu/blasingame/data/ ... ingame.pdf
oilslave

Post by oilslave »

My suggestion is:

First read good old "Slip" Slider to understand the basis of traditional decline curve analyses
Then, run what you have learnt on your own data, and see what your forecasts look like
Next, get some gas data, and plot PI vs Gp and compare with your traditinal "Arps" results" (the first step in understanding advanced DCA is that you begin to integrate production with pressures, using the PTA equations)
Get this far and revert to the forum. We'll help