Mud+CO2

legeolog

Mud+CO2

Post by legeolog »

hello,

please if someone can help:
can CO2 contaminate mud during drilling?
the possible origines of CO?
what we can do to stop its effect?

thanks in advance
Chango_jai_yen

Post by Chango_jai_yen »

My apologies for not getting to this sooner.
Yes, mud can be contaminated with CO2, it is present as gas or released from the mineral siderite in some formations or produced through the degradation of some mud additives. It is important to differentiate between CO2 and dangerous H2S by monitoring as they present similar effects on the mud. High lime oil muds are common in Texas because of CO2 and H2S acid gas contamination. CO2 and H2S will both cause drill string corrosion.
Mud properties show a decrease in pH and an increase in rheological properties, most notably 10 and 30 min gels. These effects are worse at higher temperatures in water based mud. In WBM lime or caustic is usually added to raise pH as CO2 does not exist at higher pH levels. Gypsum is sometimes added with caustic to provide calcium and preciptate this out as insoluble calcium carbonate. In oil based mud an increase in lime usage may be noted. Heavy influxes of CO2 controlled by lime can cause problems in oil mud due to increase in calcium carbonate solids.
Good luck and stay busy
Last edited by Chango_jai_yen on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
plutonio204

Post by plutonio204 »

Hi all,
I've read this post with very interest, because I'm looking for books about the mud (types, preparation, evaluation test, mud HP-HT...and so on).
Please can you kindly send me some e-book about this arguments? I'd like to find documentations and others to study this argument.
Thanks in advance for your contributions.
Chango_jai_yen

Post by Chango_jai_yen »

Good day Plutonio.........click on my name to send me a message with your e-mail. I have several and you can search the internet for 'drilling fluids'. Servers such as Rapid Share usually have books listed. The link here has a large amount of information about drilling, and a good amount on mud.
http://drillingclub.proboards16.com/
Good luck and stay busy
plutonio204

Post by plutonio204 »

Chango_jai_yen I haven't the words to thank heartly for your kindness.
You are a very kind person.
Thanks a lot.
legeolog

Post by legeolog »

thanks for you all
Chango_jai_yen, sorry for not replying sooner :D i wasn't able to connect.
Chango_jai_yen

Post by Chango_jai_yen »

Glad to help. I would like this forum to be more than just an exchange of copyrighted material. Hope all can contribute their knowledge. If you are interested in drilling, try http://drillingclub.proboards.com/index.cgi
There is a huge amount of discussion and information on all parts of the drilling world. You will have to register to view the boards now, but there is some very good reading to be done and some very knowledgeable people sharing their expertise.
Good luck and stay busy, Mike