Capillary Pressure Relationship with Waterflooding

All topics related to EOR like CO2, Thermal hydrocarbon Recovery, WAG, SAGD, Microbial, Polymer flooding ....etc

Moderator: moderators

soman703

Capillary Pressure Relationship with Waterflooding

Post by soman703 »

How does Capillary pressure help or hinder in Water flooding process?

what happens if a rock is water wet? What about one that is oil wet?

What would happen when we try to displace oil out with water in each case?

Will we get better support when we are in water wet system? i.e,sandstone reservoirs
For instance, when a rock preferentially 'likes' water over oil, in a situation where we are trying to displace oil out of pore spaces - water will imbibe into the rock easier and/or be less likely to finger/bypass oil than if the rock preferred being coated in oil?

Will we get not so better response when we waterflood in an oil wet system? i.e., most carbonate reservoirs?

What kind of response we get in neutrally wet systems? No help or hindrance in capillary pressure? Some carbonate reservoirs are observed to be neutrally wet.

I would love it if anyone can shed light on it and help me understand its concept completely.

I would also like to know about the microscopic and macroscopic waterflood process. The water tends to trap oil as ganglia and at the same time oil have a good relative permeablity in a water wet rock.

So in IOR we need to reduce the IFT and in a Waterflood the capillary forces helps with a good Relative permeability, avoiding fingerings. The 2 effects are almost opposite at a microscopic and macro. Can anyone shed light on it?

Thanking you all,
Soman Ahmed
FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Capillary Pressure Relationship with Waterflooding

Post by FANARCO »

Are you talking about conventional water injection or IOR/EOR,,

There is a screening procedure for choosing the best EOR method based on many parameters...