" semi-submersible and submersible" rigs

Articles, Softwares, ..... etc

Moderator: Drilling

explorator

" semi-submersible and submersible" rigs

Post by explorator »

Hi everybody,

I want to discuss in this thread the differences between " semi-submersible and submersible rotary drilling rigs"

A submersible drilling rig : is a marine vessel design that can be floated to location and lowered onto the sea floor for offshore drilling activities.

semi-submersible drilling rig : A particular type of floating vessel that is supported primarily on large pontoon-like structures submerged below the sea surface. The operating decks are elevated perhaps 100 or more feet above the pontoons on large steel columns.

My question is that " is the submersible and the semi- submersible rigs have the same design ????"

What I mean is that , the same rig when we submerse it (make is rest on the see bed) we call is "submersible rig" ,,,, and when we make it float, we call it semi-submersible

And it is the "same rig"

OR

The design of the semi-submersible rig differs from the design off the submersible rig

and If it is yes ,,,, what it the difference between them ???

Hope that you interact with me ,,, and If found any new details or information about that topic while searching i will share it

Thanks
FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Post by FANARCO »

Thank you explorator for these valuable information..

Could you please support your comparison with pictures..
explorator

Post by explorator »

Okay FANARCO,

Here are two pictures to clear the idea of my question and support my thread

Semi-submersible vs. Submersible

FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Post by FANARCO »

Thank you explorator ,,,

Excellent job