what is meant by "....." in petroleum industry ???

Any Topic not catigorized above
explorator

what is meant by "....." in petroleum industry ???

Post by explorator »

first of all, i'm fresh graduate from the faculty of petroleum and mining engineering , and while I was studying and revising some topics, I stopped at some terms and definitions, so have and Idea of making a topic in this forum called "what is meant by "....." in petroleum industry ???

The idea of this topic is that any one who wants to ask about a term or a definition that is used in the petroleum industry ask about it is this topic , and the other members answer him and discuss every thing about that term

And also , the supervisors and coordinators of the forum can post from time to time the clear answer for some common questions

I hope that you like the idea and find it interesting and valuable
explorator

Post by explorator »

And I will start the thread by asking about the term "water table" which is used in the petroleum industry
FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Post by FANARCO »

Water Table in reservoir engineering is means that, the level of the Oil Water Contact OWC or Gas Water Contact GWC in the reservoir.

If the OWC in the reservoir is raised by 5 meters for example we can say the water table raised by 5 meters.

Simply it is the average OWC level in the reservoir
explorator

Post by explorator »

Thanks, FANARCO ... I understood your answer, and it was clear ... But after while I was searching for an answer I found that definition

Water table:
The water table is the underground depth at which point the ground is totally saturated with water.

So, what I understood is that , the water table is the depth at which we can found layer totally saturated with water

So,
is your definition for the water table is used in "reservoir engineering"
and the other definition is used in "drilling engineering"

or what ???

and if that term is used in the 'Drilling engineering" , I would be grateful if you explain it to me ....
FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Post by FANARCO »

yes explorator ,,,,,,

As you know in the reservoir derived with water aquifer have a look at the capillary pressure curve and the open hole log.
When you found the 100 % water saturation then we call it OWC or water table
explorator

Post by explorator »

ya , Thanks very much FANARCO for your reply and additional explanation,

But, I want to share this information that I could get

Water table "in drilling engineering" :
The top of the derrick at which the crown block is fixed
explorator

Post by explorator »

Hi everybody,

The next thing that I want to discuss in this thread is that the differences between " semi-submersible and submersible rotary drilling rigs"

A submersible drilling rig : is a marine vessel design that can be floated to location and lowered onto the sea floor for offshore drilling activities.

semi-submersible drilling rig : A particular type of floating vessel that is supported primarily on large pontoon-like structures submerged below the sea surface. The operating decks are elevated perhaps 100 or more feet above the pontoons on large steel columns.

My question is that " is the submersible and the semi- submersible rigs have the same design ????"

What I mean is that , the same rig when we submerse it (make is rest on the see bed) we call is "submersible rig" ,,,, and when we make it float, we call it semi-submersible

And it is the "same rig"

OR

The design of the semi-submersible rig differs from the design off the submersible rig

and If it is yes ,,,, what it the difference between them ???

Hope that you interact with me ,,, and I found any new details or information about that topic while searching i will share it

Thanks
FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Post by FANARCO »

Thank you explorator for this valuable thread
explorator

Post by explorator »

After along search,, I can't reach to an answer for the last question , So I will post this last question about the differences between " semi-submersible and submersible rotary drilling rigs" on the ""Oil Well Drilling Engineering"" department in this forum
FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Post by FANARCO »

Okay,, go ahead