FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Oil price update : OPEC Chief Speaks: How Did We Get Here

Post by FANARCO »

OPEC Chief Speaks: "How Did We Get Here, & How Do We Get Out?"

This Cycle Has Been "Supply-Driven"

Another Call For OPEC, Non-OPEC Cooperation

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Oil price update : OPEC Chief Speaks: How Did We Get Her

Post by FANARCO »

These Are Bad Times...

The current Oil price (market) environment

"To put it simply: the market is currently going through a significant readjustment. Since July 2014, prices have fallen by more than 70 per cent, many investments have been deferred and some cancelled, manpower has been laid off, supply has been greater than demand, stocks have risen above their five-year average, and the market has been searching for balance.

"The pain of this readjustment is being felt across the industry. These are tough times. But we should also remember that ‘tough times’ are nothing new for the industry. It has been here before. The story of our industry is one of many cycles, both up and down.

"We have had periods when prices were low, and periods when prices were high. We have seen times when supply outstripped demand, and times when supply has struggled to keep up. There have been long periods of stability, as well as periods of instability.

"Of course, every situation is different, and in this current cycle it is important to ask the questions: how did we get here, and how might we get out?"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Post by FANARCO »

The Current Cycle called "Supply-Driven"

"It is well documented that the cycle on this occasion has been supply-driven, with most of the supply increases in recent years coming from high-cost production. Until 2015, all of the supply growth since 2008 has come from non-OPEC countries. Between 2008 and 2014, overall non-OPEC growth was more than 6 million barrels a day, while OPEC actually saw a contraction.

"In fact, in 2013 and 2014, OPEC supply fell by more than 1 million barrels a day and non-OPEC grew by 3.7 million barrels a day. To put this in some context, global demand growth over these two years was 2.3 million barrels a day."

FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Post by FANARCO »

2015: OPEC & Non-OPEC Expansion

"In 2015, this dynamic changed as expansion was seen from both non-OPEC and OPEC. Non-OPEC grew by slightly over 1.2 million barrels a day, and OPEC at around 1 million barrels a day."
FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Post by FANARCO »

"It Is Vital the Market Addresses The Issue Of The Stock Overhang"

"These numbers are important when we look at the growth in OECD commercial stocks. As this graph highlights, the five-year average was at its lowest level at the end of 2013. Since then the five-year average has risen dramatically, from a negative level of 85 million barrels to a surplus of more than 260 million barrels at the end of 2015. There is no doubt this has strongly impacted crude prices.

"Moreover, for the same period there has also been a rise in non-OECD inventories, plus an expansion in some non-OECD strategic petroleum reserves.

"It is vital the market addresses the issue of the stock overhang. As you can see from previous cycles, once this overhang starts falling then prices start to rise.

"Given how this developed, it should be viewed as something OPEC and non-OPEC tackle together. Yes, OPEC provided some of the additional supply last year, but the majority of this has come from Non-OPEC countries.

"It is crucial that all major producers sit down to come up with a solution to this. The market needs to see inventories come down to levels that allow prices to recover and investments to return.

"This is not only crucial for producers, but consumers too. The world desires more oil, and this means more investment."
malekmezni

Post by malekmezni »

Opec wants to kill a technology.
and Us producers are jeopardizing its market share.
It's a war and everyone is suffering.
FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Post by FANARCO »

malekmezni wrote:Opec wants to kill a technology.
and Us producers are jeopardizing its market share.
It's a war and everyone is suffering.
We suffer more than the companies.
malekmezni

Post by malekmezni »

It's bigger than me and you admin ( I presume you are an engineer in the Oil and Gas field)
We are like soldiers : sacrificed first !
I quit my job as a surface facility engineer in a big international E&P company, and went to the United States to pursue a Master's last year.
Weeks after half Oil and gas people I know got laid off.. Some of them were highly qualified seniors.
Last month, Saudi Arabia came up with an alternative : selling Saudi Oil to the US with a lowest price than any other country in the Global market :
They couldn't take it anymore ! lots of loss, their economy is altered, and yet US producers are still resisting; Unconventional reservoir based researches are still pursued, and reservoir stimulation technology is getting cheaper and cheaper..
Today a supply-demand "pseudo-steady equilibrium" is reached, but still.. The market is oversupplied.
The US presidential election next november could be game changer..
FANARCO
Administrator
Administrator

Post by FANARCO »

malekmezni wrote:It's bigger than me and you admin ( I presume you are an engineer in the Oil and Gas field)
We are like soldiers : sacrificed first !
I quit my job as a surface facility engineer in a big international E&P company, and went to the United States to pursue a Master's last year.
Weeks after half Oil and gas people I know got laid off.. Some of them were highly qualified seniors.
Last month, Saudi Arabia came up with an alternative : selling Saudi Oil to the US with a lowest price than any other country in the Global market :
They couldn't take it anymore ! lots of loss, their economy is altered, and yet US producers are still resisting; Unconventional reservoir based researches are still pursued, and reservoir stimulation technology is getting cheaper and cheaper..
Today a supply-demand "pseudo-steady equilibrium" is reached, but still.. The market is oversupplied.
The US presidential election next november could be game changer..
I think will take longer time for the market to be recovered.
malekmezni

Post by malekmezni »

I agree