Off Topic :D Geologists

Moderator: wael

AZoro

Off Topic :D Geologists

Post by AZoro »

[align=center]hi every1
am glad to find such a wonderful forum with such alot of information and great stuff

anyway, am abd el rahman mohsen mohamed zoromba
(Egypt)Suez Canal Uni-Faculty of science-Geology dep. 3rd year
am still studying as u can see,
so am asking if sum1 can tell me in which fields ,geologists like me can work in
some ppl told me Mudlogging or just office work in some companies
am saying ,is there another field i can work at ,
also if i road tutorials about petrel and any available books,will that be good to put in my CV, and what companies will take me if so .

sry for my bad english,hope to see replies soon
el salamo 3alykom
[/align]
reza

Post by reza »

Salam Abdel,

In the field of geology, there re many parts where you could focus on.. as u said, Mud logging is one of that. others are petrophysics, reservoir modelling (petrel), and so on. However, where you want to work is depend on what you prefer. You must know what type of condition you ll deal with, if u prefer to be at the field (mainly full time) then u must go on as field engineer which is mud logger, mud engineer, logging engineer (which fit a geologist in my opinion) but if u wish to stay in the office n just sometimes go to the field u can go for petrophysics... if ur interest is mainly to play with a software u could go for reservoir modeling.

once u identify the type of job u want, then u could think of which type of engineering posiition. learning petrel is very useful for you since it's the most widely used software available. and for sure it will benefit you later after u finish your study.

but u dont hv to worry that much, as when u start working in a company they ll train u as a beginner and then it's all up to you how to develop your self.

if u like field work, try to go to service company such as schlumberger, halliburton, weatherford, baker etc, otherwise u could go for oil operating company.

Hope that helps you in discovering your interest

Wish you all the best!
AZoro

Post by AZoro »

aha....well i'll give it some time then till i hook up with a company then i can see all the possibilities and see wut i prefer
although am more attracted to computer softwares and stuff, am thinking mainly on reservoir modeling (petrel) , is it just learning how to use the software or its more than that ? i.e is there some books do i need to read beside learning the software .

anyway thanks alot for ur help
AZoro

Post by AZoro »

any Egyptian geologist work in modeling here ?
wael

Post by wael »

Yes Iam geologist working in modelling in egypt
AZoro

Post by AZoro »

can u give me ur mail so we can chat alittle plz ?
wael

Post by wael »

AZoro

Post by AZoro »

thanks,i have add you ,i hope we can talk soon